Saturday, February 9, 2008

My step-uncle-in-law Charlie

My step-uncle-in-law Charlie enjoying a some cool Chardonnay.

Step-uncle-in-law Charlie knows everything about gardening and he lives in Seaside, Calif.

“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.”

Charlie would suggest we look to our gardens in much that very manner. At a time when natural plant and animal habitat is shrinking, we are often promulgating species that destruct these same native areas. He explores the idea of the garden as not just a tableau for aesthetic reasons, but an integral working part of nature. It is possible to provide the basic necessities for a large number of species in a small space if you make sure to keep in mind the four pillars of habitat:

  • Food
  • Water
  • Shelter
  • Cover
Native plants are an integral part of all these pillars and the key to sustaining birds and butterflies in our backyards for years to come. The beautiful images below show some lovely garden work adding zest and color to lushes backyards.





By the way, one more note on Charlie. He has nicknamed me "Buddha Bob" and thinks I eat too much. I don't know what ever gave him that idea. I think I'm pretty fit, judging by the looks of this recent photo of me lounging in the formal living room (seen below).


No comments: